Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Something Old



Grandma still had wooden spools of "boilfast" cotton sewing thread in her stash when she left us. All of them had a sale price of under a quarter.

My mother saved them but never found the ideal use. Maybe she just saved them for me, being a fiber lover.

This sewing thread is superb. It's slightly heavier than the thread made today, is still very strong, and has a wonderful twist, sheen, and color depth (unlike today's threads).

Last year I sold my first pair of thread crocheted earrings to a very enthusiastic woman who shared with me that they would not only be worn on her wedding day but, also, be passed down through the new family line she would begin with her new husband. (She returned to buy more.)

How wonderful is it that a 19 cent item would become so cherished and important?

3 comments:

Sewinggranny - Mona said...

Very nice that you are able to put Grandmas threads to use! Your earrings are beautiful!

Maven said...

Fabulous story, and in a way your grand mom continues to live on in every item you make with that thread. Fabulous!

Cindys Creative Crochet said...

That is a heart warming story for sure. I get giddy when someone buys my stuff as a gift, let alone for an heirloom!